Friday, August 04, 2006

Stupid

What is it that makes smart people do stupid things? I remember when my son was growing up and he would do something dumb, he would direct this fierce anger towards himself, saying he was so stupid. I always tried to comfort him the same way. I'd tell him he was smart, but even smart people do dumb things. Smart people learn from their mistakes.

I've always been a solutions-oriented person. When I did something stupid, I'd struggle to find a way to make it right, and most of the time I do find a way to correct it, but I almost always learn from the process. That's what makes us human. I recently did something wrong, innocently without intention, but very stupidly. It was one of those times when I should have known better but didn't? Please tell me I'm not the only one. So what do you do when that stupid thing (and nope, I ain't tellin' you what it was...too humiliating) is so bad that it has the power to ruin a respectable reputation? How do you fix that? I've always believed that things happen for a reason, and you can find something good in the bad. So, how do you make the lemonade from the lemon? I've been struggling with this all week. I'd love to hear how others overcame a stupid move, regained your self-respect, and moved forward in a healthy manner.

4 comments:

Nan Patience said...

So. Who did you sleep with?

TM said...

LOL!!!! No way, hoe-zay! I am a one-man chica. I LOVE MyMan and wouldn't ever do anything to endanger our bond, tempting as Ewan MacGregor is (like HE'D ever want ME!). But that gave me a REEEEEAL good chuckle! There's that "wit" I've grown to love. :)

Luna said...

As one that has made her share of mistakes (yikes!), it has been my experience that:

a) usually the FEAR of making the mistake, or the fallout from it, is usually FAR worse than the actual repercussions or the mistake itself. The mind can be a terrible thing.

b)people seem to be far more tolerant than one would imagine-I'm finding out that it really should take a series of very bad mistakes to completely destroy a rep. A yutz is a person who makes the mistakes, and doesn't learn from them--not the person who makes the mistakes.

Just my thoughts. Now, instead of crawling inside some hole to rip yourself apart, pick yourself up, hold your head high, admit that you're not perfect (remind yourself that no one is)and get back out there sister!

TM said...

Thanks fer that. Good advice. Yeah, I'm getting to that point. It's just going to take a little time, I think. And yes, I learned. So I will soon forgive, but not forget. Gee, ain't life fun?