Friday, August 18, 2006

Coming soon...

Lots of interesting movies coming this fall. Here are some:

SEPTEMBER
Children of Men, directed by Alfonso Cuaron (Y Tu Mama Tambien, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban). According to Entertainment Weekly, "a futuristic cautionary tale, adapted from PD James' novel, about an impending era in which the human race faces extinction unless a disenchanted former activist (Clive Owen) can deliver the last pregnant woman on Earth to safety. Also starts Julianne Moore and Michael Caine as a Yoda-like pot-smoking hippie encountered on the journey.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated: documentary about the highly secret MPAA's Classification and Ratings Administration.

Sherrybaby - starring one of my favorites, Maggie Gyllenhall, as a former herion user who, upon being released from prison, tries to regain custody of her daughter.

Feast, the horror film made during the final season of Project Greenlight. Can't wait for this one. I watched that series, and it looks like it's going to be a hoot. Made with all former reality show stars.

Hollywoodland, with Alec Balwin, Adrien Brody, Diane Lane, Bob Hoskins.
About the mystery surrounding the "suicide" of George Reeves (Ben Affleck), the actor who played Superman on the original 1950s tv series.

The Amateurs, with Jeff Bridges and Ted Danson as two friends in a small town who try adult filmmaking.

The Last Kiss with Zach Braff (Garden State...which you GOTTA see if you haven't yet). He lives with his girlfriend and is tempted by a flirty beauty. So what else is new?

OCTOBER

The Departed, directed by Martin Scorsese, with his new muse, Leonardo DiCaprio (useta be Bobby De Niro), and Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, and Martin Sheen. A cop goes undercover in the Mob and a gangster who infiltrates the police.

Running With Scissors, with Annette Benning, Brian Cox, Joseph Feinnes, Evan Rachel Wood and Gwyneth Paltrow - based on Augusten Burroughs' best selling memior. Joseph Cross plays the lead character, who is sent by his bipolar mom to live with a shrink.

Breaking and Entering, directed by Anthony Minghella. Jude Law lives with his girlfriend (Robin Wright Penn, another of my faves). He investigates the burglary of his office and winds up in an affair with Juliette Binoche.

Marie Antoinette, written and directed by Sophia Coppola, starring Kursten Dunst. Need I say more?

Babel, with Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Gael Garcia Bernal. Four interconnected plotlines: an American couple vacationing in Morocco, a family of Berber goatherds, a wedding and boy-crazed deaf-mute Tokyo teenager.

The Prestige, with Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlett Johansson, and....DAVID BOWIE!!! Can you tell I loooovve that guy? This film is about the rivlary between two stage magicians at the turn of the century (1899-1900).

Man of the Year, with Christopher Walken and Lewis Black. Robin Williams plays a stand-up comic who runs for President and WINS!

For Ewan MacGregor fans (see me raise my hand here), there's Stormbreaker, described as a Harry Potter meets James Bond by Entertainment Weekly.

Speaking of Harry Potter, Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) stars in the indy, Driving Lessons, with Laura Linney.

Wrestling With Angels looks at the life and work of Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Tony Kushner (Angels in America).

Enjoy, and don't forget the popcorn!

Oh, and here are movies that EW says are good for kids AND parents:

Charlotte's Web, with Dakota Fanning - December 20
Eragon - a fantasy adventure - December 5
Flushed Away - animated comedy - November 3
Night at the Museum - a security guard at New York's Museum of Natural History discovers that the exhibits come alive after hours. - December 22

6 comments:

Luna said...

oh, Maggie Gyllenhal is great. Ever see The Secretary???

I don't do Bowie, but I would watch Hugh Jackman clip his toenails for two hours..Joseph Fiennes as well (though I admit, The Red Dragon freaked me out SOOO bad, and put a strange new perspective in my head about him-I NEVER want to see that movie again).

TM said...

Yes, Secretary was so bizarre and she was so good. Red Dragon (which I haven't yet seen) was a remake of Manhunter (directed and adapted by Michael Mann of Miami Vice fame), which came out in 1986. William Peterson (CSI) was the profiler, Brian Cox was Lector with much less screen time than in Lambs and I'm guessing, Red Dragon (which was the name of the novel). I remember when I heard Anthony Hopkins was going to be Lector, I couldn't imagine anyone doing that role as good as Brian Cox did it. Ralph Fiennes must have been the tooth fairy, huh? The actor who played him in Manhunter, Tom Noonan, was so awesome. I guess I never saw the remake because I just couldn't imagine it being any better than the original. Plus, it was so creepy...like you say, I don't really need to see that story again. LOL

Have you seen Primal Fear? THAT was exceptional. It was that movie that I first noticed Edward Norton. He was brilliant in that. A must see if you like psychological thrillers.

Luna said...

Yes, Manhunter was good-I saw that one-to this day, I can't hear "inna godda da vita" without thinking about that movie-kind of ruined that song. The remake WAS far creepier, I like serial killer stuff but that was over the top-makes you never want to drop your film off for development again. And Willian Peterson is great-now, and then.

Sometimes remakes can surprise you.

Primal Fear was excellent-twisty. Edward Norton is a very good actor.

TM said...

Then I will check it out. Have you seen Saw? I saw (heh heh) the first one, which I resisted for the longest time, but I loved it. My son said the second one was just as good but gorier, which is why I avoided the first one until I heard it wasn't as gory as it sounded. real psycho/thriller-one of my favorite genres.

Luna said...

Saw was awesome! The ending....uggghhh!!! Don't even tell me you had it figured out!

TM said...

No, it was a total shock! I LOVE it when they fool me.