Saturday, August 05, 2006

The Musical Cohen Boys

Remember Leonard Cohen? If you're too young, he was (is) a fantastic songwriter. His most well-known song was "Suzanne" from the early 70s, I think. His songs were really poems set to music. Remember that scene in Animal House during the toga party, and Belushi comes down the stairs and there is this guy playing a guitar and singing with about 5 girls around him? Belushi smashes his guitar? Well, Cohen is kinda that singer, but really brilliant. Interesting life, was with Rebecca DeMornay for years. Well, his son, Adam, is a real chip off the old block. His music isn't quite like his father's. His group is Low Millions and this album I'm listening to, Ex-Girlfriends, has two songs you might have heard...Eleanor and Statue. On one song, Mockingbird, he sings the beginning in a very low voice and sounds, eerily, EXACTLY like his old man. The father, despite the deep voice, writes songs that are kind of ethereal. Adam is more earthy...actually, I like his voice better than Leonard's. There is a really hot song called Nikki Don't Stop. I need to turn up the AC when I listen to that one. Whew!

I still have to see the film about Leonard...it is about his life, I guess, and it has a bunch of today's stars covering his tunes. I think it's called I'm Your Man, after one of his albums from the 90s. If you saw it, let me know what you thought?

No comments: