Friday, August 04, 2006

Musical Musings

What are you listening to these days? I've just rediscovered Sondre Lerche. He's really young, and I THINK he's German, but his music is very catchy. I spend a lot of time at Yahoo music, and I've discovered Neko Case (although I've heard OF her, until recently I haven't heard her work), Ivy (dreamy-voiced female lead singer), and Jonatha Brook (I used to hear her on WFUV when I worked 50 miles west of home). Also, been listening to Nellie McKay again. I've heard from someone who met her that she is very weird, and in a not so nice way, but who cares. I love her music and her lyrics are unique and incredibly witty. And Dresden Dolls, the cabaret rockers. Several other artists I have nearly forgotten about and have been enjoying lately - Honeydogs, Badly Drawn Boy (his video for Year of the Rat is so sweet...he did the music for the film About a Boy with Hugh Grant), and some oldies but goodies: Meat Puppets, David Bowie, T Rex, Mott the Hoople (can you tell me I dug "glitter rock?"), and now Jackson Browne. I still don't get tired of his earlier works, especially his first 4 albums...before his music became political instead of personal. His lyrics are so simple but so powerful.

Oh, I nearly forgot, there's Frank Zappa! And Counting Crows and Crash Test Dummies, their first two albums.

When it comes to music, even though I stay pretty up to date, sometimes I feel so old. I don't have an Ipod (too expensive), and there are now adults who have never seen a vinyl record in their life! I miss records. I loved listening to the album while scouring the album cover notes and artwork, and reading the lyrics. Now, you can't even read some of the writing on CDs, and forget about trying to read lyrics IF they include them. Yep...I am officially an old folk now. By gum.

4 comments:

Luna said...

I don't see you as an old folk at all dearie, your taste is pretty young, I think.

Dresden Dolls kill me-"Coin Operated Boy" teehee. I go through these music phases as well. For a while, I was into that ambient music-Portishead is a great example. Depeche Mode for darker times as well--I think when I was a kid, I saw them a million times in concert-they were my favorite.

Listening to Sarah McLaughlan as of late, which is interesting, since she used to grate on me. The Chemical Brothers and Fatboy Slim too, maybe I'm just reliving some of my Limelight/Palladium days here with the techno stuff--it is good to work out to. Fiona Apple (haven't heard the newer album, I'm still into the Shadowboxer thing). It's the piano that I like so much there.

Mark likes the Scissor Sisters, and he made me NUTS when we were dating with that Crash Test Dummies album. :)

My brother used to do engineering at WFUV, and I went to college at Fordham--that is a good station.

TM said...

OMG! You are the only other person I know who has even heard of the Dresden Dolls! Yes, Coin-Operated Boy is so good - have you seen the video? It's excellent and moving. Also, Girl Anachronism. When I discover an artist I like, I research them relentlessly. I love their website, and they run their concerts like a circus, with fans setting up "sideshows." They are very theatrical, and well, I love that stuff. Yes, Depeche Mode, I never got to see them, but I have a couple of their cds. Blasphemus (sp?) Rumors is so perfect!

Speaking (or writing) about the Limelight...back in '90 or '91, I was living in the city and I had the good fortune to attend the Witches' Ball there on Halloween. It was a closed party by invitation only, and I had a friend who was a witch. I went with her and it was a blast. VERY bizzarre.

Crash Test Dummies - I STILL love them. I need to get my hands on their first CD. There is a song called Superman's Song, from his point of view, and it is sweet and heartbreaking. See lyrics at http://www.crashtestdummies.com/lyrics/superman.txt - More so than the more recent one by Five for Fighting, I think.

I still love Sarah McLaughlan. Are you listening to Fumbling Towards Ecstacy? I like that one best. Yep, and Fiona, too.

Thanks for posting!

Nan Patience said...

I love hearing great lyrics and great sound, but you really have to make an effort to find new material, what with the mainstream playing the same old shit. I really admire that you and LunaChick have managed to keep that fire burning after ALL these years.

Luna said...

Ahhh, now that you mention it, the Dresden Dolls definitely sound "cabaret"-like. I'll have to check out their site and stuff.

You're right Nancy, it IS an effort to find new music that is good--sometimes it feels as though there aren't even any true musicians anymore. Just big boobs, blond hair and a lot of lip synching. Much more "package" than music. Gross.

I have always been addicted to music--still am, still run around like a teenager with my ipod.