Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year 2007

Well, despite our best efforts, 2007 has arrived. I've been thinking a lot about this fresh, new year spread out before us. For me, the dawning of January first has always been like opening a brand new notebook on the first day of school. The clean, unmarked white pages just waiting to be written on, full of potential, full of what I might write on them. What I could create from nothing but my own imagination.

So, here I sit at my keyboard. I had my usual breakfast. I have my brand new Christmas iPod nano on with headphones listening to my songs on shuffle - having just finished a Nellie McKay song, who Nancy and I discovered around the same time, each on our own, and now Cousteau is singing She Don't Hear Your Prayer (if you haven't discovered them yet, DO look 'em up - you'll thank me - two words UNIQUE and FLUGLEHORN). Jack just left the room. My cat. The one peering out at you at the top of this page. My house is in a holiday shambles and I am about to tackle it this afternoon.

But it's raining and gloomy outside. How inhospitable 2007 is being right off the bat. I mean, at least welcome us with a little sunshine. And if there must be precipitation, Baby New Year, you could at least convince Mother Nature to give us a little SNOW! Just enough to go with that wilting Christmas tree in my living room that now has to stay up until the next dry day. I could put on Christmas music and pretend I'm having a white one.

Ah, now Elton is crooning Your Song in my ears. What a sweet and simple song. I'd forgotten the beauty of listening to music with headphones...the nuances you catch.

Apparently this is turning out to be a streamofconsciousness post. Oooh. Sunshine of Your Love by Cream. Okay...before your time? Eric Clapton on the upswing. Huh, also apparently, I will be updating you on the soundtrack.

Anyway, back to new years. Do you have any resolutions? I'd given up resolutions long ago. I call them goals. Less intimidating. My life has been kind of divided into many, many sections, but most recently, it's before the assault 2 years ago (BA) and after (AA). Here are some of mine.

1) To get organized again. I was so organized BA. It's time to reclaim some things. Organization is one of 'em.
2) Lose this damn weight I gained AA. MyMan and I are off on a low-carb, lower cal diet. I sure hope this works. I've got at least 40 lbs to lose. Also, to walk the dog every day for both our sakes.
**soundtrack alert - Billy Holiday - Embraceable You
3) We are downgrading our television service to save $$. SO - I plan to read more, and I'm actually going to try to knit again. This should be interesting.
4) Work on that book (this one is on every year's goal list - I didn't want it to feel left out)
5) Get some query letters out to some mags
6) Have D&ME shows in at least three venues every month by next January
7) Spend just a tiny bit less time watching youtube. Maybe. But it's so FASCINATING.
8) Mediate at least 5 minutes every day

Okay...those are the only goals I care to share. I have others, but they are only for me and myman.

ooh ooh - now it's Shivaree doing Good Night Moon. Have you ever heard this group? Check them out!

I got some buttons from Northern Sun that speak for or to me. Here are some: "Did you ever stop to think and forget to start?" ""Optimistic - even in the face of reality" "Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult" "Stay in the moment- Damn, it's gone" Well-behaved women seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich" and a favorite - "Another dopeless hope fiend"

This is fun...just writing whatever comes into my head. I have no idea how fun it will be to read. But it's probably all just a ploy to put off cleaning. Which makes me think I've got to get going. We actually stayed up until 3am last night. Got up at the ungodly hour of 10am and time's awastin'. So I will leave you with a question and a wish:

We all wish for world peace in the year - that's (should be) a given. What do you hope for yourself?

I wish for you all a safe, healthy, joyous, low-stress, prosperous, peaceful, fulfilling, productive, lesson-filled, love-filled, happy 2007. Pay it forward.

3 comments:

Nan Patience said...

I liked this post.

Happy New Year to you and YourMan.

TM said...

Thanks, swetty. Right back atcha!

Luna said...

I liked this post as well, Toni--and I liked the stream of consciousness style...whatever you think at the time...fantastic!!!