Thursday, January 18, 2007

See Life of a LunaChick's "Bizzaro-World"

http://debcahill.blogspot.com/

Wow! We totally agree here! ;) Although the subject of the death penalty is riddled with controversy. I myself have never been able to take a real stand on it. On the one hand, I don't think I could ever bring myself to kill anyone, yet I now know with certainty that if anyone tried to physically harm or kill me or children, grandson, husband, heck, anyone I love dearly, I would fight back with no thought as to whether the result of that fighting would be the death of my/our attacker. Not a glimmer of a thought, before or after. But I really don't think I could sit on a jury and hand down a death sentence to someone no matter how heinous a crime, as I pretty much don't believe I or anyone else have the right to decide who lives or dies. My faith leans towards Buddism, and karma. Which has always been helpful in my own healing, since I could always take comfort in the belief that "what goes around, comes around."

But, yes, hmm, a "botched" execution. Please. I get what you mean, Lunachick, about any execution being "painful," since the time leading up to it would be, well, I can't even imagine. But if they wanted an even remotely "humane" execution, they wouldn't have selected hanging in the first place! I always thought injection was pretty humane. I mean, that's what they do with animals when they put them down. But (despite my personal beliefs) that just seems too good for some people when you weigh their crimes. Especially those who commit horrible crimes against the weak and helpless, like children or the infirm.

Okay, now I'm working myself up. Anyway, check out Lunachick's post. She is very good at expressing herself, and on this issue, she says it best.

1 comment:

Luna said...

See now-you make a good point because I'm not really for the death penalty-mainly because it is after the fact. Killing another to protect yourself or others is a whole different ball game. Kind of like "premeditated murder" vs. "crime of passion". I am much more understanding (not saying it's right or anything) of a crime of passion-people doing what they have to do, than some organized execution. These things are planned and done under the guise of civility, and that's just ridiculous. It's perfectly normal to want someone dead if you've been traumatized in some way, I just think some people may overestimate the satisfaction they might receive from actually having it happen. It doesn't make anything go away.

Thanks for the link-I am honored- you think I'm good at expressing myself? Hmmmm....perception is a pretty interesting thing.

What would I do wthout you guys? Still waiting on our coffee date.