Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Feeling Peevish?

One of the nice things about blogging is being able to blow off some steam every once in a while. I really have to start checking in here more often. I mean, I read my regulars every day or so, and post replies, but for some reason I have felt singularly uninspired lately when it comes to topics. But once again, Life of a Lunachick gave me an idea for this post...those adorable little pet peeves. Yeah, you know, those seemingly tiny things other people do that, in the grand scheme of things really have very little impact on your life or the world in general, but for some reason just push that button, YOUR button, and irritate the CARP (that's right, I'm trying to be family-friendly here) outta you?

Yep, I'm right with you, Lunachick, with the word "irregardless." NO such word, never has been, and I wish I could say never will be. But this world we live in bends to the popular masses, so it may someday be, simply due to "popular" use. And by popular use I mean consistent misuse. Ugh. Although at this moment, an example escapes me. Please feel free to post one.

The first of my two main peeves: there is a grammatical error that I see and hear ALL the time, but it really only makes me want to scream when I read it in a newspaper or hear someone who should know better screw up the use of "I" and "me." It's not all that hard to remember! I don't know why this is, but whenever I hear someone say something like, "The president wanted to be sure he gave the books to the vice-president and I," ARGH!!!!! I am assuming the people who regularly read this know the proper use, but for those who don't, I feel compelled (if you think that's a strong word, you don't know me) to explain. Just take out the "vice-president and" and use whatever fits. Would you say, "The president wanted to be sure he gave the books to I?" NO.

The second thing that bugs me is when people say "I could care less." Huh? When people use that phrase, they use it when they are trying to make the point that they don't care. The correct phrase it "I couldn't care less." If you could care less, that means you care SOME, because you have room to care even less.

Okay, all that being said (and satisfying as it was)...generally, in recent years, I've lived my life in pursuit of letting go - of not "sweating the small stuff." And generally, I've been pretty successful. I don't go nuts, I don't scream, I don't rant and rail when these buttons are pushed. I actually have gotten to a place now where these things really don't get to me the way they once did...the way I presented them above. Usually, when faced with one of these "button pushers," I now sort of inwardly roll my eyes and picture it rolling off my back, just letting it go, and that feeling of wanting to scream is gone. Usually. And that feels just as good as screaming. I wonder what Yoda would say... [see The Greatest Philosopher]

2 comments:

Natasha Beccaria said...

I knew the thing about "I" and "me" but honestly I didnt know about "could care less". I rarely use that phrase anyway...so I never really gave it much though until you felt "compelled" to share. LOL.

Thanks for sharing by the way!

Luna said...

oooh ooohhh ooooh!!!!! The "could care less" thing makes me batty too!!!!

When you "could" care less, it means that you really DO care, in some capacity. When you don't care=you COULDN'T care less (not possible for you to think any less because you're already there.

Ahhhhh......that's better.