Saturday, October 07, 2006

Nostalgia

I was driving home today from visiting my daughter today and found in my car a CD of 70s tunes. I popped it in and was immediately transported back in time. Todd Rundgren's "Hello, It's Me." I was 20 years old, hanging out at Hot Dog Beach with my boyfriend, Andy. That song will always remind me of him. That whole summer revolved around him. Funny, I just remembered thinking, in my early 20s, that summer was for me a period of lots of experience impacted into a short time, so I thought I did most of my emotional growth during the summer. I don't know if that was true, but it's what it seemed like when I was much younger.

Simply Red's "Holding Back the Years" is another song that brings me back to another boyfriend, one who relentlessly persued me until I broke down and fell for him, and then cruelly broke my heart. I still feel a wave of melancholly when I hear those two songs. It's not that I wish I could go back in time or even that I wish I could be with either of them...it's just that I associate those songs with times of bliss, then ultimately heartache. It's a strange power that music has. And the music that we like becomes the soundtrack to our memories.

The only thing that can bring me back in time like that is scent. Sandalwood and patchouli, pine trees, certain perfumes (or men's colognes)...they all have that power to send me back in time. It's like scratch'n'sniff memories! Who says time-travel is impossible?!

The song that brings me back to my wedding day is Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You?" Not Rod Stewart's boiled down bland version of Van the Man's composition. Van had strings and brass and such full and beautiful orchestration.

What about you? What songs serve as your own personal time machine?

3 comments:

Luna said...

OH! Today I was driving and heard the cover of the Violent Femmes' "Gone Daddy Gone" by Gnarls Barkley (they are fantastic, by the way)..and was instantly transported back to HS, back to my trouble-maker best friend (mom loved her), and sneaking into Malibu in Lido Beach for WLIR's weekly party sometimes. So much FUN!!!

On another note-Toni-have you ever listened to the Scissor Sisters??? Mark's been telling me for a while he thought I'd like them--and someone else too (was it YOU??) well, I just started listening to them and I am hooked. Give em a shot if you haven't listened--fun fun fun stuff. I've been dancing all over the house today.

Natasha Beccaria said...

Music plays a very large part in my emotions that its so hard to pick just one song or even two. There are different songs that bring up specific emotions, good and bad, from various points in my life (heartbreak, summer fun, friends, etc). But i know exactly what you mean. And Van Morrison is definitely one of them.

TM said...

Yes, I heard the sisters once and wasn't impressed, especially since I knew they were actually a bunch of hair stylists who said, hey let's start a group. BUT I've been hearing so much good about them lately that I guess I should give them another chance. I'll let you know....

Love Gnarls Barclay...do you like Gorillaz?