Monday, October 30, 2006

Halloweening

Went to a grown-up Halloween party last night. As usual, I dressed up as a vampire, only this time, I got these great fangs that I customized, so they clicked right in place and stayed. I wore all black and my hair was long and stringy and I wore red contact lenses, which really looked creepy. MyMan wore fake bite marks on his neck and lots of blood dripping down his t-shirt. On the back was written: When she said she wanted to suck me, this isn't quite what I had in mind.
HO HO HO.
The hostess was, as she called it, a slutty pirate, but she just looked very cute, with her short outfit and poofy detached sleeves and pirate hat. Oh yeah, and she had a whip. A really tall man came as a pirate and he looked great, wig and all. There was a penguin, a goth chick, that football player who crashed his motorcycle while drunk (I don't follow football), a choirboy, a cowgirl fairy, and um....that's about it. Why people go to a Halloween party and don't dress up is beyond me. One guy said he didn't get the whole dress up thing about Halloween. Huh? It's all about living the fantasy! Bringing out your alter ego. Make believe. Going out in public and freeing yourself of YOU. It can even be about making a statement. Or scaring people. Or entertaining them.
Maybe it's just the actor in me that has always loved dressing up. Or maybe it's the child in me. Most children love to dress up and pretend, don't they? If you want to strip it down to the bone, that's pretty much what actors are doing. I mean, it's really a lot more complex than that, but that surely could pass as the simple explanation.
I guess it's also a way to be creative. I really appreciate it when I see a costume that took some time to create, or a unique idea. Like MyMan's t-shirt...easy to make, but a great idea (his). I heard about this one couple - the husband came as a baby being born, his head coming out from between two fake legs, and his wife was dressed in medical scrubs! At one party, there was a guy who made a great Moses. He brought cardboard tablets and had the other guests write their own commandments on them. The funniest thing about that night was that he ended up hanging out with another guest who had come as Satan! Satan and Moses hanging out, smoking a blunt outside. That was a sight, let me tell you! One of my favorites from my own past Halloween partying was a pregnant girl scout (I wasn't "prepared"). Also, Casper's friend Spooky. I wore a huge sheet, tie around my neck, freckles, and a derby. It's a lot of fun when no one can tell who you are!
I remember hearing about one guy who came to a party wearing nothing but roller skates. He was a pull toy. Hmmm...urban legend...or TRUTH!? You decide.
Another idea that was funny (but rejected due to the fact that it would hinder any fun for the wearer) was wearing black and white splotched sweats and an udder and lying on his side all night. He'd be a ......tipped cow! A new one this year for a group - everyone dresses up as items you can no longer carry onto planes. My old standby is a vampire, because a) it's easy, and b) I love all things vampiric. I won't go down that road, I'll be here all day.
So, what are your ideas?

1 comment:

Luna said...

I am jealous Toni- the last time Mark and I went to a Halloween party was about 6 years ago. he was a pimp daddy-complete with feather in fedora-open shirt, long coat--it was friggin hilarious and so much fun.If you knew him, you would understand why it was agreat costume for him. I, being GIANTLY pregnant, and limited by that-was the pregnant Prom queen, complete with tiara and "Miss anytown" sash. Half the fun was just thinking about the costumes.

Sounds like a good time!!!!!