Saturday, September 23, 2006

Paying it Forward - as I see it

A post at LunaChick's blog inspired the following.

"Letting go" of things over which we have no control is a very common problem. It's certainly a lesson I've been working on for a long time. Hard thing for a control freak. The easy way is to have low expectations of others and to succumb to road rage, or any other kind of rage. No one ever said the road to enlightenment is easy.

Kindness is not to be given for what you will get in return. It is given because that's what is right. Karma doesn't work immediately, nor does it necessarily happen in this lifetime (yep, I believe in reincarnation). But from my experience, yes, it does come back to you. It adds up. Sure, people are going to be a-holes. For many of them, it's their nature and they just can't help it. But being kind and thoughtful and gentle and giving people the benefit of the doubt...it adds up and does eventually come back to you, sometimes when you least expect it. And not always from the people you were kind to. Really. I believe that the universe does take care of any karma - good or bad. It's not our place to mete out justice. Revenge does not release anger. The only way you can release anger is by trusting there is a reason for everything and letting go of that anger. If you don't, the anger will own you.

I believe that if we are ever to live in a world without war, a world of true peace, we ALL have to let go of our needfulness to control, punish, or hurt others (or ourselves), for whatever reason. I think that this is much more do-able for humans than to try to "love" everyone. "Let it Be" as a theme song for the world? I can't think of a better one.

But that's just me.

2 comments:

Luna said...

Agree. You've got it. I think its harder for some people to get this idea than others..better yet, not to just get it, but live it.

The benefit of the doubt is a HARD thing to give if you don't have the mindset, especially if you've had experiences in the past that have made you cynical.

I'd like to point out that people are different,and express themselves in different ways. Doesn't make it right or wrong, and I don't neccessarily feel that people who allow themselves to be walked all over are any more enlightened than someone that doesn't. It may have more to do with fear and temperment than enlightenment.

Just a thought (not saying that it applies to you. I don't disagree with what you are saying, but if you don't ascribe to the philosophy of "karma",then the argument's over.

Whatver it is, varying temperments and philosophies are what make the world interesting...it's also a great basis for friendships. Imagine hanging around people that were clones of ourselves. Blech.

Yin and Yang.

TM said...

I know, giving the benefit of the doubt can be nearly impossible at times, and there are times when I forget all my good intentions and react in an unproductive and negative way to the many jerks out there.

And yes, if one doesn't share my belief in karma, etc, well, the argument doesn't even start.

There was a plotline on Charmed where these "avatars" helped the witches create a utopian world of peace - no wars, no fighting, everyone lovin' each other. But at the cost of completely losing our free will. What struck home for the witches, and for viewers, was that world was just as undesirable. So will we ever have world peace? I sincerely doubt it. But I think the pursuit of peace is critical to not self-destructing.

Yes, I agree about a variety of beliefs help make the world interesting. I've never had muchpatience with people who are so set in their beliefs that they need to convert everyone they meet. I love to hear about new ideas, etc. and share mine. I think an open mind is key to surviving with some amount of growth in this world.

We may agree to disagree here, because I don't think that not seeking revenge is allowing yourself to be walked on. That's a whole different animal from speaking up for yourself and being assertive in life. I'm talking about allowing some idiot to provoke you to lowering yourself to his level. What you did with the cretin who stole your parking space? I don't think what you did was necessarily unhealthy at all. As a matter of fact, I probably would have found him in the store, walked up to him with a bright smile and said ever so sweetly and sincerely, "Thank you SO much for stealing the parking space I had been waiting for with my blinker on. I hope that what goes around, comes around for you." I'd give him another smile and walk away. It may not be the most positive behaviour, but it sure would feel good. See, I aspire to a higher path, but I ain't perfect...NO MA'AM!