Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Beginnings

Nancy (Back at the Ranch) wrote a sweet goodbye to summer on her blog, but I am happily looking forward to Fall. I love wearing sweaters and cuddling in the evening without sweating...excuse me, make that "glistening." I think the sunlight in autumn is the prettiest, along with the icy-silver winter light. We may lose the vibrant greens of summer, but we gain all the reds and golds of leaves falling from trees that are preparing for their annual winter-long nap. Fall and spring have always been my favorite seasons...maybe because I can't tolerate extreme temps easily. But I associate Fall with new: clothes, beginnings, friends, opportunities. The laziness of summer gives way to the hustle of getting things done after all the procrastination. Same thing with Spring...I sort of wake up out of my own kind of psycholological and physical hibernation. I enjoy walking in the Fall...just being outdoors. I just can't stand getting physical in the humid summer heat. But a brisk walk in the brisk cool air just can't be beat. Now maybe I can get my butt up and out of the house to walk the poor dog! :)

I'm hoping I can walk through the "door" that is Fall and begin the ending of this year with a positive change in my life. Exactly what that is? Maybe it will come to me on one of those walks!

2 comments:

Nan Patience said...

Thanks, Toni. Autumn used to be my favorite season, too, for all the reasons you cited. Enjoy! Go for it, whatever that is, so you can end the year with a well-deserved sparkling beverage (or three).

Natasha Beccaria said...

I know what you mean about Fall. I love the brisk air and i definitely enjoy walking when i dont come home drenched in sweat. My friend Michelle and I are going to be walking every Monday evening together. I cant wait. We started last Monday and Reilly, her adorable chocolate lab, thoroughly enjoyed the long haul down the beach. There is a downside to Fall though. Some of us are severely affected by the lack of sunlight, myself included. But i love warm sweaters, Fall colors, the changing of the leaves, and the brisk air. I try to focus on that and luckily when i cant stand it anymore, Christmas has arrived giving me a whole new energy and focus.