Sunday, February 18, 2007

Buttons

Wow, that last topic really pushed some peoples' buttons...which brings me to another topic that I discussed with a friend on the way to a concert this afternoon. I was on my way to Sag Harbor to get some Sunday cultchuh...classical music and original compositions by a composer friend.

Anyway, we talked about this topic below, the media, and the buttons it pushed, which led our conversation to how it has often been noted that one should never discuss politics and religion (especially when you don't know the other people's leanings). My friend said that her boyfriend recently bemoaned the dwindling opportunity for people to do just that without practically coming to blows, and I agree with him. I was raised in a loud Italian family that argued and debated ideas at dinnertime. Maybe it wasn't so great for the digestion, but what it did give me was the ability to listen to other people's opinions with an open mind and, if not respect those opinions, then certainly respect the right of that person to HAVE and VOICE those opinions. It's not really a problem for me to discuss a potentially volatile topic and walk away agreeing to disagree. I don't become enraged when I can't make you change your mind and agree with me, and I don't hate you for not agreeing with me. Okay, so MAYBE you'd annoy me some...I'm not saying I'm perfect here. I'm just saying that's the way I am, coming from my background. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if we never discuss important things in life, if we never share our opinions and concerns and beliefs, and more importantly, if we never LISTEN to others' opinions and concerns and beliefs, how can we ever begin moving towards understanding others and ourselves, which is the first step, I think, towards tolerance, and ultimately peace. Okay, am I just talking out of me arse here?

ANYWAY, so, here is another question... if everyone could learn to join together in a heated debate and still walk away, if not friends, at least agreeing to disagree, would peace be more easily reached on a global level? I guess the easy answer would be yes, but is that even possible anymore? Are we too far gone for that?

As for here in this blogdom, I enjoy reading everyone's opinions and personal takes on issues. It certainly has given me perspectives I otherwise may not have had, and I learn alot, so thanks for letting me be a part of the neighborhood!

7 comments:

Luna said...

Just a thought-I don't particularly understand WHY the last topic pushed people's buttons....at all.

I am finding that the topics that I would think would be hotly debated are never really the ones that seem to get people all riled up.

Give me a Bush debate anyday...and yes, listening to other opinions and agreeing to disagree is the way to go...but there are plenty of adults that are not capable of doing that, and I believe we would be better off if we could all do that.

TM said...

I thought about that, too...whenever my dad would start going off on the media and how it manipulates the public, I would get defensive, even though I agreed with him. Probably, mainly, because he's always complaining that my generation is too dependent on the "boob tube." But then again, who made us that way? [could it have been our own PARENTS, appreciative of the TV as a babysitter??]

And maybe the reason there aren't that many Bush debates going on is because there isn't anyone out there willing to argue his side? Even the people who voted for him don't want to stand up for him anymore. I hear he has the lowest popularity rating since Nixon just before his impeachment. Big surprise.

Nan Patience said...

I agree with LunaChick, don't know why the topic pushed people's buttons, except maybe when I set a belligerent tone when I said, "Get over it." I knew it was belligerent, but I said it anyway. I didn't mean any disrespect. I'm sorry.

I was not one to stir things up in my family, and my parents were serious liberals. I guess I'm making up for lost time.

Luna said...

And setting a beligerent tone is something I know nothing about :b

I believe that you and I may have actually switched roles this time, Nancy!!!!

Nan Patience said...

Oh God, what is happening to me??!!

I think the whole thing is Isis Luna's fault anyway. She's the one all, "the sky's falling, the sky's falling! bagockkk, bagockkk!"

TM said...

I'm glad Nancy isn't still looking to kick some butt. Hey, you know we love you! :)

What I think may be even more interesting than the fact that this topic pushed a button is WHY it pushed a button. But maybe that's better left for our therapist's offices (or at least mine)?

But see? We are all grown-ups here who recognize that we can have a different opinion and still get along. We've done it before. So why is it so hard for so many people? I guess this issue is so close to my consciousness lately because I have been spending time with someone who is quite stubbornly and loudly and very strong in their opinions (and who is otherwise quite nice). I've chosen to just keep my mouth shut, because I knew it would be a complete waste of energy and time to try bringing up an even slightly different perspective. I find people with utterly closed minds nearly as difficult to be around as I do unabashed bigots. Nearly. I hold an open mind as one of the most important criteria for personal growth.

Okay, now it's time to put this one to bed, dontcha think? Got another button, anyone?

TM said...

bagockkk, bagockkk!