Sunday, November 26, 2006

Old Friends- Short Life

Yesterday, I had the occasion...okay, I got off my fat lazy ass and made it a point to call an old friend and get together with her. It just blows my mind to think that we met 33 years ago!! There were five of us who all started work at the same place, IRS (ugh, I know, but they paid a lot for those days). We were 19, single and up to a lot of mischief back then. It's been at least a couple of years since Janice and I got together and we did a lot of catching up. She is still with her hubby and she has four kids (yikes). The oldest is a nurse, 23, and the youngest is 15 and has inherited her talent and interest in photography. She was a cheerleader type in high school (the type I always despised), but what won me over was her artsy side and her big, kind heart and goofy sense of humor. Then there was Robin, the glowing nature girl with no make-up and long flowing blond hair, dimples. You know the kind, the girl who would walk into the room and all the guys looked at...well, back then anyway. I considered myself a hippy back then, in deed and thought, but I wouldn't go anywhere without my mascara, and I wouldn't give up meat. Robin was a vegitarian and always got the best, hmmmm, how shall I put this...as they called it in a recent That 70s Show, "film." If you don't know what I'm talking about, then forget it. :) Jan, Robin and I were all 19 and they were the ones I felt the closest to. Robin had the most interesting story. She followed her boyfriend, Cat (how perfect for the hippie goddess), to Idaho. Ended up marrying him for all the wrong reasons, divorced, became a telephone linewoman, met and married a multi-millionaire for the RIGHT reasons, and became the antithesis to a hippy. Go figure. We kept in touch for a very long time, but things got very superficial and eventually dwindled away.
There was Deb, the die-hard hearty party-er, always with a beer in her hand, kind of a tomboy. Never really opened up to anyone, but always there to back you up. But we were never really close and I never stayed in touch.
And Trina, very cool, sweet, and special. I also stayed in touch with Trina after she moved down south through one husband and one boy friend (both mine), but we seemed to lose touch somehow. I often wonder what she is doing with herself. Last I heard from her, she had one son.

So, Janice. She is such a doll and we always have such a great time talking. Every time I see her, I wonder why the heck we don't do this more often. So my early New Year's Resolution (or, how about "rest of my life resolution") is to make sure I don't waste any more time NOT seeing my good friends who I dont' see more often. Life is too damn short.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey TM but always TC to me in my heart :)

It's great when you can get together with an "old" friend and catch up and share all the new things that are happening in your life. I don't how you do it. For me, living in CA does not help I suppose and the cost to fly me and the family back east plus car. hotel & food is very expensive for three!

Somehow I imagine that there are a few that that happens during the time of old memories when visiting with that someone (kind of like ghosts from your past), One I would think it makes you feel good to still have that connection, two it also makes you realize that we are getting older, three the thoughts of what you have accomplished to date compared to your youth,four the thankfulness for true friendship through the years and finally more openess to who we really are. I love when you share yourself with all of us. It's neat to hear and feel your life processes.

Life is too short not to make time for the people we chose to still be involved with. My experience has been I am suppose to learn something from everyone whose has come and gone in my life. Sounds like you are the same in that respect. Good for you T!!! Give my best to Jim and our boy Devin and his family and a great big hug & kiss to Marisa. Take care my friend.

TM said...

It was so great to hear from you...glad you stop by once in a while and drop a few lines while you're here. Yeah, distance really sucks. A friend of mine says she has two families, her family by chance (blood) and her family by choice (good friends). I've been blessed with both that are really great.

Maybe I'll post a few pix of my grandbaby here soon. Email me some of your family, too! And you take care, too, my friend. Glad distance doesn't dim the heart. Someday, if we ever get out your way, you can bet we'll make time to see you!