Wednesday, July 04, 2007

YouTube...again

Yeah, I don't mean to harp on it, but since LunaChick brought it up, and since I haven't posted in a bit, I thought I'd just touch on it. Sure, YouTube is certainly a world unto itself. I am writing a story for LI Pulse about the upcoming New York City gathering this Saturday - 7/7/7. YouTubers from around the world are flocking to Washington Square Park to meet each other and have fun. I'm looking forward to it, not only to get enough material for more than one article, but to meet some people I've been watching and corresponding with for nearly a year. Yes, YT is a community, with all the good and bad implications that go with that, but it is even more...I interviewed YT-er from Long Island yesterday for the story, and what a great guy. I'd been a subscriber of his for about six months, and he is just a regular guy who happens to be very talented and loves filmmaking. More than just a community, YT is also a venue for people to express themselves creatively. And people are. And some are getting discovered by more traditional media!

Which brings me to the part where LunaChick said she is more of a music person. YT is a great place to discover musicians who are just starting out! Instead of imbedding bulky videos below, I'm posting links to some of the artists I enjoy, and who you might like. Take notice. You may be hearing them on the radio soon enough!

Ysabellabrave - Maryanne has already been signed by Warner's boutique "E" line

The Velvet Hearts - a duo, piano and guitar, with a Randy Newman-ish-voiced singer who do folky-rock originals. Check out "Peace is a Loaded Gun." It's a powerful war protest song; you may want to just listen - the video images are pretty harsh.

TerraNaomi - she is playing the Live Earth concert at Wembley Stadium. ALso got signed to somebody recently.

That's it for now. But you can always go to the Musician Channels and discover someone on your own. :)

4 comments:

Luna said...

So, basically it sounds like we can get almost anything we want there, huh? I'll confess, I do use it when I miss something I really wanted to see, or of there's something in the news that everyone is talking about-it's easy to find just about everything on there, including hilarious Henry Rollins clips.

Nan Patience said...

more like "YouTube... Still"

:))

TM said...

Hey, I've been sick! I know, I'll post soon!!

Nan Patience said...

Kazoontite!