Monday, May 14, 2007

Standing Women Report

Well, I went down to the river yesterday to "stand to save the world" as part of the Standing Women. It was such a beautiful day, I was going to walk the dog down there, but I couldn't find his leash and ended up driving. I didn't expect a crowd, but I thought there would be SOME people. At ten to one, there was no one! I took a seat on a bench facing the river and enjoyed the warmth of the sun on my face. Since I don't sunbathe (haven't since my early 30s), it felt decadently good. There was a cool breeze and birds calling and it just felt good to be outside after being cooped up all week in my office.

I figured, oh well, so it will just be me. It was worth a try. It wasn't mine, but it was a good idea and I was going to see it through. I looked around, and a few minutes later, I noticed a small band of four women and a young boy walking along the boardwalk. I could hear their voices clearly. One of them said that "it's supposed to be behind Sears" and I knew I was not to be alone. I got up and approached them.

"You're here for the Standing Women?" I asked.
"Yes"
"Great! I thought I was going to be the only one!"

Introductions were made and they laid out their lunches on a picnic table. They had heard about it from someone who had emailed them from the city! That must have come from my original email blast. But they also saw it in the paper. One woman brought several bells to share.

On the stroke of 1:00pm (I used my cell phone for correct time), we rang the bells and I struck my chime, and we just stood in silence. I focused my thoughts on words that evoked feelings for me: peace, abundance, health, love, acceptance, friendship, respect...and also the planet enveloped in radiant white light. I was aware of the sun, the breeze, the birds, the "green" smell...that all helped to focus on the good stuff. I only checked the time once before the five minutes were up. When I did, I also looked up and saw our small band of women and one small boy just standing there, separate but together. I wasn't disappointed anymore. At 1:05, I struck my chime. My fellow standers rang their bells, and I turned and saw two other friends who had arrived a bit late. We all talked a little about what we had visioned. We talked about being moms and how we should do this again. I wonder if it had not been Mother's Day, if more people would have come. I wonder if this were more successful in more urban areas. There are still many people who don't "get" positive visualization and the power it can have.

In the end, I left the river that afternoon with a sense of both having done something positive, but also of having not done enough.

5 comments:

TM said...

BTW, one of those friends was Back at the Ranch Nancy! Thanks for coming down, Nancy!

Natasha Beccaria said...

sorry i didnt make it. Living in Sayville makes it a little more difficult, though i still work out there and frequent the coffee house atleast 1-2 times a month.


ducks from Nancy's [delete] button on NFP)

Luna said...

Toni, nothing is ever wasted. Sometimes when you do a whole bunch of work, and it may seem like it was for nothing, you find out at a later time......that it was invaluable and "part of the plan".

Listen to ME.....telling YOU this stuff. What's the world coming to?

Luna said...

Natasha- surprised we haven't run into you at the coffee house. It's where the unemployed seem to congregate.

Natasha Beccaria said...

are you saying i am unemployed?? LOL.

I used to frequent that place when i was single... it was my home-away-from-home. Ask anyone behind the counter about me and they'll say..."she's abandoned us for Mr. Sayville". lol.

Toni - isnt it true that any effort put into a project is worth it if you reached at least 1 person?