Friday, May 18, 2007

Drunk Driving

This isn't pretty. But if you have any kids who are getting to the age of either driving drunk or having the opportunity to make a decision to get in the car with a drunk driver, this may or may not be something you want them to see. The Scared Straight program was proven to have some value in deterring youth from crime. I think this might have some value in deterring them from driving drunk or even letting a friend drive drunk. I'm sure you'll let me know if you disagree...

3 comments:

Nan Patience said...

oh my GOD!

Luna said...

sorry, can't do it. I'll take your word for it.

Natasha Beccaria said...

Personally i dont think its enough to make the decision not to drive drunk. We must rise above and do the more difficult task.....we must SPEAK UP when the moment slaps us in the face.

I frequently hear young people brag about their night out... "OMG I dont know HOW i got home... I'm so glad there werent any cops on the road...its a good thing I didnt get pulled over..."

HUH?

I cant tell you how angry i get when i hear this sort of thing. And i make every effort to point out its not just THEIR life they are taking into account here!

We risk alienation from acquaintances, friends, family...people who apparently think its COOL to get behind the wheel drunk or buzzed ... but i dont think i could maintain a sane relationship with someone knowing what they do.